the details in the Song of Solomon are really good

            As a reader, the books I enjoy the most tend to be nonfiction novels that tell interesting true stories. Despite this however, the Song of Solomon has easily become one of my top favorite reads, despite its mythical themes. Probably my second favorite. Unlike other fiction novels I’ve read, the Song of Solomon left a noticeable impact, and I couldn’t stop thinking about it after I finished. I think the reason for this is the way Toni Morrison wrote this book, which I think is similar to the style of the nonfiction novels I love.

One of the biggest reasons I love this book is the feeling that nothing goes to waste. Every detail Morrison puts in this book has a purpose that leads to the bigger narrative, making the process of reading the book itself fun. For example, Robert Smith, Porter, and the names of all the places Milkman goes to are important parts of the story later revealed. It makes the book feel more immersive and like I’m next to Milkman uncovering a story. Unlike other novels where I read just to know what happens at the end, I find myself more interested in the way new information is introduced and as cheesy as it sounds, it really was about the journey with this book. I feel like sometimes, books throw in details of the world that, although it makes the setting more imaginable, does not actually have much use. Like a useless accessory to show off how blingy the world is. However, in the Song of Solomon, details are never tossed aside, like in nonfiction novels, where everything has a reason to be told in some certain way, letting the story be laid out and told in the most optimal way.

Besides writing relevant details, the Song of Solomon also uses relevant real life historical events that contextualize the story and make it feel grounded and realistic. Maybe it’s just the books I read, but the settings of other fiction novels I read can feel shallow, like an idealized world presented for entertainment. It’s not necessarily bad, but I enjoy when I can see something happening in my world. I feel like it leaves a bigger impact. I think this is why I like nonfiction novels because the stories they tell are real and have happened in this world, which can be unbelievable sometimes. 

Through reading the Song of Solomon, I was able to better understand my preference in books, which will hopefully lead me to picking ones that I’ll enjoy more.


Comments

  1. Nice post! I also really loved how Toni Morrison included a lot of details throughout the book that you get to uncover the meaning of as you kept reading. These small details make reading exciting and add more depth to the book. I also agree that I like how a lot of her more "magical" seeming details are rooted in historical events that help better contextualize the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You put your finger on an aspect of this book that I had felt but could never quite pin down. The details feel real, flesh out the world, but also serve the story thematically. The bar sets up Milkman's immaturity, his and Guitar's different levels of familiarity with the community, and adds to the immersion, for example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you that Morrison does such a good job building important details about the plot into the fabric of the story—I think there's a lot that I would notice on a second or third read, knowing now how the plot unfolds! If you liked the way details are woven into the story here, I'd really really suggest Morrison's book Beloved, which we read in African African Lit last year. The main reveal is about events that happened in the main characters' pasts (as opposed to in Song of Solomon, where you're learning the story alongside Milkman), but it's also constructed so that you're handed fragments of the plot early on, and kind of gradually piece together everything that happened. It's also just a really impactful, powerful book, and I'd 100% recommend reading it if you have the time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts